Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Seemingly every other day, I raise my angry fist to the skies..."

The title of this post is from this WP article today: A noon appointment with a Bahamas beach.

If there was ever a more fitting quote for this blog, I haven't found it.  And I'm not just talking about winter in general, although that definitely makes me angry, as my posts here will attest (the snow, the driving, or lack thereof, etc.).  But really, it's broader than that.

Last week at work was a perfect example.  I've had more than one person complaining that a certain regulatory filing is due on Valentine's Day, and that was apparently really messing with their schedules.  (Including one who told me it was interrupting his skiing vacation with his mistress in Vail, Colorado.  Yes, you read that right, not wife, mistress!)  The previous two years, the deadline wasn't Vday, but that's simply because it happened to fall on a weekend those two years so the deadline was automatically extended, per the federal regs.  And yet, somehow, it's my fault that it's on Vday?

Real talk:  I got so annoyed with one of them not understanding the deadline that I actually made this person get a calendar, open it, and count 45 days from December 31.  "Oh, you end up on Vday?  Yes... that's right... and that's why it's the deadline!  I don't make the rules, I just have to follow them!"  Gah!

It seems that everyone seems to have spent January jacking off, then decided when they rolled into their offices on February 1 that "Oh, better do some work!" - WTF?  It's been an absolutely brutal month so far.  Here's hoping that springtime comes soon, and with it... less insanity and fist shaking!  (Although I tend to doubt that last part...)

No comments:

Post a Comment