Saturday, April 24, 2010

On the lost art of driving...

Remember when highway used to be synonymous with terms like “freeway” and “expressway”? Was there ever a time in your life when you went driving just for the sheer fun of it? Back before work, life, obligations, etc. forced you to be on the road? Back before gas prices made you cut back on all but the most “necessary” trips? Back before “those other idiots on the road” made you dread getting in your vehicle?

There was a time for me, not all that long ago, when driving was a simple joy. When I needed to clear my head, when I needed to just “get out” I'd hop in my car and disappear for a while. I guess it helped that I grew up (and went to college) in rural areas. Ever since I moved up to “the city” there's not a day that goes by that I'm not yelling at some moron (usually more than one) because they're putting my life in danger. I drive an SUV for the simple fact that it's the best balance between armor and affordability I can achieve in my tax bracket. Trust me, if I had the money (and legal ability) to get a military grade Humvee with roof mounted machine gun and loaded with armor piercing depleted uranium rounds, I would. As it is, I'm reduced to keeping a constant vigil and wondering which of my other fellow drivers will attempt to kill me today.

If I may humbly propose a suggestion, let's make driving about driving again. Your car is not your coffee shop, your bathroom, your entertainment center, or anything else but your car. Your primary, and only, focus should be on getting from point A to point B in the quickest, safest, most efficient manner possible. Let's put the “free” back in “freeway” mmmk?

Look, kids, it's either that or I look into getting that roof mounted machine gun.

Your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment