Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What were you thinking?

Okay, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted something. It's not that I haven't been angry about things, it's more that I’ve been busy dealing with the things I’ve been angry about. Let’s get things rolling shall we.

IT Server Rooms in most companies that have more than one computer, that little jimmy the president’s 13 year old son set up as a server, tend to a have a room dedicated to their secure living. These rooms also tend to be climate controlled to keep the hardware that generates heat, and don't work well while hot, cool. Our server room which houses around 10 servers over the past month has averaged a temperature of around 88 degrees with spikes upwards of 100 degrees for hours at a time. I've pushed for change. Pushed for a new AC unit just for the server room. I've Explained numerous times that Heat + Computers = Devastation. This all apparently fell on Deaf Ears. So for the past week I’ve been putting in a ton of extra hours trying to Fix a server and recover data from a 4 year old rack server that much like a union employee decided that the high temperature working conditions just weren't acceptable and stopped working.

IT is the backbone of almost ALL businesses these days, but the fact that the people in charge of these businesses were all born before computers they don't understand. Let’s have a thought experiment. If we were to take away all the computers in your company could you still do business? Some businesses will honestly be able to say yes to that question. However the follow up question of "Will you still be competitive?" will open the realization that you'd be out of business in a few months. So why would anyone not invest in the security and stability of their IT infrastructure is beyond me.

Maybe it’s the fact that I stay late, don’t collect overtime, and fix things before they make any end users lives miserable. I think that is going to change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment